This Allergy Awareness Week 2019, we bring you the facts on allergy hygiene and probiotics, and tips to help sufferers out this allergy season.
Nasal Hygiene is very important to:
- reduce allergies by removing allergic particles from the nasal passages
- remove bacteria and viruses thus decreasing the chance of infection
- remove mucus, thus allowing nasal medication to work better
- reduce nasal swelling, thus increasing airflow
- reduce dryness and irritation of nasal membranes
Ask your CarePlus Pharmacist for Marimer spray or Clear Little Noses for kids.
When nasal hygiene is most important:
During allergy season
- the pollen from trees, grasses and weeds is heavy in air
All year round
- to prevent infections
- bacteria and viruses thrive in moist and warm weather
- ensures these germs are washed away
One hour before bed
- helps you to breathe better and deeper during the night
In the case that the eye comes in contact with an allergen in the air it can cause allergic conjunctivitis. Cells in the eye release histamine –causing the blood vessels in the eye to swell, resulting in symptoms such as itching, redness and tearing. In this case, we recommend Blepha Clean Wipes or Blephagel, available in your local CarePlus Pharmacy.
Allergies and Probiotics
Probiotics may be of benefit to healthy adults with self-identified seasonal allergies when the probiotic is taken at the point when allergy symptoms are at their most severe.
When a probiotic is consumed there is an increase in competition for nutrients in the gastrointestinal tract. This means that all of the bacteria compete for nutrients, and with the influx of a high number of beneficial bacteria, this reduces the amount of nutrients available for the pathogens, competitively excluding the pathogenic bacteria.
Bio-Kult is a unique multi-strain probiotic with 14 strains of beneficial bacteria, available in your local CarePlus Pharmacy. Its naturally powerful formula can help maintain a healthy digestive and immune system.
Pop into your local CarePlus Pharmacy and ask our friendly Pharmacists for any allergy advice.